What Are Delivery Optimization Files?
- Go to My Computer and right-click on drive C.
- Select Properties from the popup menu.
- In the General tab, click on Disk Cleanup.
- This will bring up a window that shows you the folder of files you could choose to clean up on your computer including your delivery optimization files.
When Is It Safe to Delete Delivery Optimization Files?
- Windows delivery optimization clears its cache automatically.
- You can also delete these downloaded software files from PCs manually to free up space more quickly.
- You can delete these software file types as long as they are no longer in use.
- Once the app or program upgrades are completed on PCs, the delivery optimization files are no longer needed except to make the updates on other computers on your network.
- If the delivery optimization files are still in use, you will want to wait to delete them till the necessary updates are made.
1. Reduced bandwidth consumption
2. Security Standards
With delivery optimization, Microsoft Windows doesn’t download an entire file from a single source on the internet. This is to ensure that the files won’t contain any viruses or malware, thus ensuring your computer system’s security.
3. Data Utilization
- No control over content, because the updates are automatic and done without user input
- No reporting or analytics, as Windows delivery optimization has no centralized management
- Takes up disc space, which is the root of our discussion: These files take up disk space that could be devoted to other data.
How to Delete Delivery Optimization Files
The Permanent Deletion Step
- Download files and those from updates can accumulate quickly and slow down your computer without you realizing what the cause is.
- We have to clean out closets now and then to free up space, and computers can benefit from having their storage cleaned out, too.
- If you want to give your computer a very thorough cleanup, you should consider going through any old documents and folders you have saved.
- Just be sure that when you delete these potentially sensitive files, that you are deleting them permanently.
- This requires more than just a simple press of the delete key, however, as files still live on your hard drive long after you’ve removed them from the foreground.